Thank you everyone for pitching in.

I will take another stab at explaining my case/context.

So I have a component which issues a lot of requests over a keep-alive
connection to HAProxy. In the middle there is a TCP Load Balancer
(hardware) which only intercepts new tcp connection requests. Once the
tcp connection is established, the client can send as many HTTP
requests as it wants. For lack of a better term, it becomes sticky.

Usually clients (browsers) would send a bunch of requests and then go
away.. effectively closing the TCP connection. In my case, the
component keeps going.

If I force HAProxy to close the keep-alive connection, even when its
being actively used, the client issues a new TCP connection. And the
load balancer can send it somewhere else (to another HAProxy
instance).

In this case, I am not stopping HAproxy for maintenance. I just want
TCP connections to be _not_ established for a long time.

Thanks