Hi Lukas,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 11:12:45AM +0100, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> > I suggest we configure it to a greater value per default, it can be set to
> > infinity too, but I don't like the idea.
>
> That's not it, the hold-off timer is only a consequence of this
> problem.

OK but if it's really 100ms, it can be a problem for people loading GeoIP
maps of millions of entries, or large configs (the largest I saw had 300000
backends and 600000 servers and took several seconds to process).

> I believe the notification does not work in my case, which is
> why for systemd haproxy did not start correctly which is why systemd
> continues to restart haproxy.

I'm feeling less and less confident in using this mode by default :-/

> I found the root of the issue: the "daemon" keyword in the global
> configuration section. We need to remove "daemon" from the
> configuration for systemd to mode work correctly in notify mode.
>
> We can override the "daemon" keyword in the configuration by passing
> -db to haproxy. Adding it to the unit file fixes the issue even if
> they keyword is in the configuration (so we pass "-Ws -db" ).
>
> "-Ws -db" along with a note in the documentation that "daemon" may be
> ignored in systemd mode seems like a good compromise here?

Yes and it definitely is needed, just like we used to suggest users to
always have -D in init scripts to force backgrounding of the process
when there was no "deamon" statement in the conf.

> I will send an RFC patch shortly.

Thank you!