On 02-02-2018 17:44, garb...@gmx.de wrote:
I`m having problems with running haproxy 1.8 on CentOS 7.4 and originally I
planned to post my setup, logs and more. But while thinking about this I
started to doubt that what I am trying is correct.
Let me explain what I'm doing, perhaps there is a better approach which solves
my problem automatically.

I start with a plain install of CentOS 7.4 on which I "yum install" the current
version that CentOS provides (1.5). Then I replace /usr/sbin/haproxy with a statically
linked version of haproxy 1.8.3 (statically because I want a newer version of openssl 1.1
for example).
This new haproxy runs fine as long as I don't run it with systemd. When I do a
"systemctl start haproxy" it silently fails to load haproxy.

So my basic first question is: shall I try to (with your help) fix this or
should I remove the then current haproxy wrapper and have systemd run haproxy
directly ?

If necessary / helpful I can provide information about my logs and the way I
compile haproxy, but first I wanted to hear your opinions.

I would take the prebuilt packages in this repo I built: https://haproxy.hongens.nl

Or look at the github page for the spec files and systemd patches if you want to build them yourself ;)

Doing an rpm install and then modifying files sounds like a bad idea to me, I want consistency. If rpm -q haproxy tells me I'm running 1.5, I want to have 1.5 running, and vice versa.

--

met vriendelijke groet,

Angelo Höngens