On 4/16/2018 9:15 AM, Lukas Tribus wrote:
Hello Shawn,

please keep the mailing-list in the loop.

Sorry about that.  Looks like the haproxy list doesn't set a reply-to header sending replies to the list.  Most mailing lists I have dealt with do this, so just hitting "reply" does the right thing.  I sometimes forget to do the "reply list" option.

I don't follow? Why is using a restricted admin socket a security issue?

You are already exposing the admin socket locally in your
configuration on line 16:
stats socket /etc/haproxy/stats.socket level admin

My suggestion was to use that admin interface to send the "set server" command.

I enabled the admin socket so that I could renew OCSP stapling. As far as I understand, it can only be used on the load balancer machine itself, and I think this is the only way to renew stapling other than restarting the program, which isn't something I want to do.

As for the possible security issue: If somebody were to compromise the back end server and the back end server had knowledge about the load balancer, then the attacker might have enough information to fiddle with the load balancer for *other* things the load balancer is handling that are more sensitive.

I think your original issue may be due to the "retries 1"
configuration you have in there. I would recommend removing that.

The documentation for 1.5 says the default value for retries is 3.  Wouldn't removing it make whatever problems a retry causes *worse*?  If retries are bad, then perhaps I should set it to 0.  I have no recollection about why I have this setting in the config.  The default/global settings were created years ago and don't change much.

Thanks,
Shawn