Hi Gurus;

I was in the IRC channel the other day looking for a way to get authentication through apache's authnz-external working from haproxy; specifically I have a few nodejs applications and I want to put an authentication system using imap in front. I already have authnz-external working so it would be convenient to continue using it. dcorbett suggested I investigate lua, which led me to finding https://github.com/TimWolla/haproxy-auth-request. seems like just the thing I need.

After I checked that I met all the criteria and installed it and got every thing setup and worked out my mistakes, I was left with log entries like: Lua function 'auth-request': runtime error: haproxy.auth.lua:48: bad argument #1 to 'old_settimeout' (number expected, got nil) from [C] field 'request', haproxy.auth.lua:95 C function line 56.

Fortunately, the author was most excellent and documented the history of this script here: https://bl.duesterhus.eu/20180119/, specifically the section regarding haproxy's sockets. Through that post and also comments in the github script containing links to https://www.mail-archive.com/haproxy@formilux.org/msg28604.html and https://www.mail-archive.com/haproxy@formilux.org/msg28574.html, I am lead to believe this should be an fixed in my apt-installed version of haproxy 1.8.13-1.

I have been investigating, commenting code, and hacking by trial and error to find a solution, but so far I am not able to get past this point. Clearly my skills and understanding are not yet where they need to be, being relatively new to both haproxy and lua.

It occurs that this could be a lua problem (as opposed to haproxy), but according to what I have read and understood, it seems that this is related to haproxy's implementation of lua more than lua itself. Hence I am asking here first.

Wondering if anyone can offer some insight, or point me at some required reading that might shed some light on this but isn't aimed at a developer level of understanding? I have read through https://www.arpalert.org/haproxy-lua.html#h211 a time or two, but if there is a shining light bulb in there it hasn't blinded me yet.

--
Bob Miller
Cell: 867-334-7117