On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 05:41:12PM +0200, William Lallemand wrote:
> The problem is that at the moment it's not possible to connect to the stats
> socket of a process which is leaving. Sometimes it's really useful to debug
> and
> see the session which are still connected on the old process. And that's the
> ultimate goal of this feature (not covered yet, but soon :-) )

This precisely is the case I'm personally interested in : I don't upgrade
often (I'm not a good example to follow but on the other hand I'm well aware
of the need to upgrade for my use cases), and occasionally during the reload
on the new version I see the old process not quitting. The developer in me
cannot help but think "grrrr I should have kept a connection to this stats
socket to see what's happening". When this happens, it's after a huge version
jump so it's hard to tell if it's an old fixed bug or not, of course.

With the ability to consult old processes, I could connect to the master,
enter an old process and start to debug it (show sess, etc), or even
selectively kill certain connections. This can a be very convenient
feature. I don't use the master-worker model for now (as I'm a happy and
lucky systemd-less user so I have the choice) but as I told William, this
definitely is one feature that could make me switch to the master-worker
model.

With nbproc, there's also the ability to connect to all processes via a
single connection that some people will appreciate. Those running 4 or
even more processes are probably fed up with having to reconnect to each
of these individual sockets when troubleshooting something. Here you can
access everything from the same socket. For example when you're searching
a connection using "show sess | socat | fgrep src=10.11.12.13", instead
of doing it in a for loop in shell, you could easily have a single command
that sends this to each process and provides you with the info you're
looking for, wherever it comes form.

I'm sure that over time new ideas will emerge around this. We just need
to be reasonable not to go too far too quickly or it will be hard to go
back and take a different route if needed.

Cheers,