Hi Lukas,

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 12:21:47PM +0100, Lukas Tribus wrote:

> Btw could stdout logging leverage some of this infrastructure? I
> assume that if the master process would write to stdout
> (synchronously), we would not stall our workers because of slow log
> readers?

Well, it will just move the problem from the worker to the master, which will
be slowed down and can prevent the ability to do maintenance operations from the
master CLI. At the moment we don't have anything to forward the logs from the
workers to the master which is another problem, but we could use the sockpair
between them, but this is a stream socket which will lead to the same issue.

> https://www.mail-archive.com/haproxy@formilux.org/msg17436.html
> https://github.com/dockerfile/haproxy/issues/3
> https://github.com/docker-library/haproxy/pull/39
>

> It looks like in the docker world, everything other than stdout
> logging is unacceptable - at least for official docker image, and I'm
> wondering if the master/worker process model along with this
> infrastructure could theoretically help there, without sacrificing the
> performance of the event loop or log reliability.

We are aware of the problem and we already discussed this issue several time
with the other developers, the ideal design should be the use of a log buffer
which will allow TCP logging, and stdout logging. We have the idea in mind but
the development is not planned yet. But it will definitively be a useful
feature.

--
William Lallemand