On 2019/1/21 09:36, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently it was figured that the buffer API changes caused some breakage
> to da.c and 51d.c (both fixed since), I don't know if wurfl builds at all
> by the way since the last update to the module is its introduction more
> than 2 years ago. But more importantly I'm realizing that neither 51d nor
> wurfl will start with threads enabled. This has been the case for about
> 15 months now, while we've had threads enabled on all relevant operating
> systems.
>
> Thus it leads me to the (possibly wrong) conclusion that absolutely
> nobody ever uses these options. Am I wrong ? I'm asking because each
> time we perform some API changes it's always a pain to go through these
> which don't build out of the box without external dependencies, and I
> suspect we're simply wasting our time and we should get rid of them
> if nobody uses them (or at the very least move them to contrib/).
>
> But if anyone is using them and disables threads for this, then it's
> fine, but in this case it would be nice if these two would check the
> thread safety of their code so that the thread restriction can be
> removed for the benefit of their users.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Willy

We do use 51Degrees at my place of employment. However a couple of
caveats in that statement. One is that we're still running on 1.7. We'll
likely be upgrading to 1.9 soon, but still a couple months out.

The other caveat is that we run with threading disabled. Until the
statement on 'nbthread' that "THREADS SUPPORT IN HAPROXY IS HIGHLY
EXPERIMENTAL" goes away, we'll be leaving it off.

-Patrick