Willy,

Am 06.09.19 um 11:22 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> That's what I really meant in order to support different formats that
> one would like to implement, without having to be exclusively tied to
> those described in RFC4122. But after thinking a bit about it, I guess
> that if most users expect the number here to match the version this
> would create more confusion to have a different one, and the
> unique-id-format still allows to build a complete one from scratch for
> those needing anything different.

Yes I believe that most users think of RFC 4122 when seeing UUID and
thus would expect `uuid(1)` to generate a v1 UUID as specified in RFC 4122.

Java: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/UUID.html
JavaScript (npm): https://www.npmjs.com/package/uuid
A PHP lib: https://github.com/ramsey/uuid
Rust: https://docs.rs/uuid/0.6.5/uuid/
Python: https://docs.python.org/2/library/uuid.html

... they all mention RFC 4122. And that's just the first page when
searching Google for "UUID".

Best regards
Tim Düsterhus