Hey,

i would suggest adding support for the widely used RFC4122 Version 4 UUID,
which is generated completely random. In lua a script for generating these is
about 5 lines long, but because of several reasons I don't want to use lua in
this use-case.

I would definitely not add add additional dependencies. The only thing required
to generate such a UUID is a random number generator (which is already
available) and some string-concatenation. Example code comes out with a quick
GitHub search: https://gist.github.com/kvelakur/9069c9896577c3040030 .

I think adding this feature would not require too much effort.

@Willy, whats your opinion on this?

Best regards
Luca

On 05.09.19, 17:32, "li...@ltri.eu on behalf of Lukas Tribus" <li...@ltri.eu>
wrote:

    Hello,

    On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 4:58 PM Schimweg, Luca <luca.schim...@sap.com> wrote:

    > Hey again,
    >
    > I tried to use rand, but when using it, my generation code for a UUID
looks like this:

    > unique-id-format
%[rand,hex,bytes(8,8),lower]-%[rand(65536),hex,bytes(12,4),lower]-4%[rand(4096),hex,bytes(13,3),lower]-%[rand(16384),add(32768),hex,bytes(12,4),lower]-%[rand(65536),hex,bytes(12,4),lower]%[rand,hex,bytes(8,8),lower]

    > To be honest I think for a simple UUID, we should not be required to but
such a complicated and long line into the config. Also, I think that the
performance impact of such a line is much bigger than the generation of a UUID
in plain C code. We could just create a ACL generator called uuid or something
similar which would do the job. The config would get much clearer.

    > Any opinions to this? I would be willing to implement such a feature if
the maintainers would be ready to merge it in general.

    Are you proposing to implement a RFC4122 compliant UUID?
    Which UUID version?
    Which dependencies would it require?

    I guess something RFC4122 compliant based on openssl for example would
    work. Adding chunks of fragile code nobody is gonna maintain or adding
    additional dependencies like libuuid - probably not.

    I suggest we wait for Willy's feedback, but I want to stress that this
    may not be as simple as 5 lines of standalone C code ... we certainly
    don't want to act like we are generating standard compliant RFC4122
    UUIDs when that is not really the case.

    Lukas