Hi Илья,

I think that Travis’ Homebrew plugin is just fine, but I would definitely avoid
updating/upgrading Homebrew as that’s certainly going to make builds much
slower.

Do you have any sample logs of the situation where socat failed to install with
non-updated Homebrew? It doesn’t make sense that socat has been failing to
install, as there are binary downloads available for almost every OSX and even
more so, Formula/socat.rb is being changed really infrequently (once per year
at most, according to git history for socat.rb).