Hi Willy,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 5:23 PM Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:
> as I suspected in issue #1020, another user got trapped not enabling
> SSL when building from sources (probably for the first time, as it
> happens to everyone to build haproxy for the first time).
>
> Given that haproxy's main target is HTTP and that these days it often
> comes with SSL (and it doesn't seem like it's going to revert soon),
> I was wondering if it would be a good idea for 2.4 and onwards to preset
> USE_OPENSSL=1 by default. At least users who face build errors will have
> a glance at the README and figure how to disable it if they don't want
> it. But providing a successful build which misses some essential features
> doesn't sound like a very good long-term solution to me.
>
> I'm interested in any opinion here.

I used to think most people use `use_openssl=1` and wondered why it
was not the default, but I recently discovered a large setup not
making use of tls. The market is however strongly moving towards end
to end encryption so I would say it makes sense to have use_openssl=1
by default. People like things which work out of the box without
reading any doc. So I'm quite a supporter of that change.
A developer/maintainer knows how to deactivate it for test purposes to
reply to Tim's comment even if it is longer to type.

--
William