On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 05:34:46PM +0100, Tim Düsterhus wrote:
> Willy,
>
> Am 05.01.21 um 17:22 schrieb Willy Tarreau:
> > Given that haproxy's main target is HTTP and that these days it often
> > comes with SSL (and it doesn't seem like it's going to revert soon),
> > I was wondering if it would be a good idea for 2.4 and onwards to preset
> > USE_OPENSSL=1 by default. At least users who face build errors will have
> > a glance at the README and figure how to disable it if they don't want
> > it. But providing a successful build which misses some essential features
> > doesn't sound like a very good long-term solution to me.
> >
> > I'm interested in any opinion here.
> >

> This would be a -1 from my side. For development and testing I usually
> build with a simple `make -j4 all TARGET=linux-glibc` to keep build
> times low.
>
> I suspect that the vast majority of users consume distro packages
> anyway. Users that compile themselves can usually be expected to read
> the `INSTALL` file.

I tend to agree on this point. However the scenario probably is:

  $ make
  (... blabbering about all suppored targets ...)
  $ make TARGET=mytarget

Thus the help message from the makefile should at least suggest that
plenty of other options exist (and give hints about common ones).

> I would be fine with a warning if `USE_OPENSSL` is not explicitly
> provided, though.

I hadn't thought about this one. It's true that it could be nice to see
something like "note: USE_OPENSSL not specified, building without SSL support".

It's not necessarily trivial to fit into the makefile for the "all"
target however, as we can't run actions before the dependencies are
met, so it would probably be a dirty hack before the target definition.
But it could be worth trying.

Thanks!