>> So, I never in the last 15 years missed this feature.
>> Stream handles the matter just fine:
>>   Home, Shift+Up/Down,<copy>, PgUp/PgDn/Up/Down
>>   to proper place,<paste>, bingo.
>
> That's because you've never tried line selection mode. After you'll try it,
> you'll miss it. I promise you :)

I'm copying lines by the thousands since long time
using stream method, and it causes no perceivable
overhead, so most probably I will not miss it in
my lifetime anymore. One less feature to worry about,
and this is always a good thing :)

>> Seems much simpler than selecting between 3 different
>> selection modes, keeping them in mind, mousing in
>> between and pressing out of reach keys like F11, let
>> alone Shift+F11.
>
> You do not need to keep them in mind and you do not need use mouse. Usually I
> can keep mouse upside down. That's only the problem of current hbide
> behaviour. In current hbide code exists application state "active selection
> mode", but it should be implemented a different way: a different keys should
> start a different types of selections, and no "active selection mode" status
> at all. That's why I'm asking about ::startColumnSelection() instead of
> current ::toggleColumnSelectionMode().

I absolutely agree, but can't this be made into
HBIDE in a simple way?

For example:

Shift+cursor: stream selection
Alt+cursor: block selection