I got this laptop (Gateway 7405GX) prior to last years meeting in
Boston. I purchased it from a Best Buy on Central Ave. in Westchester
County without the extended warranty i.e. just the one year from
Gateway.

After about 8 months both hinges developed full cracks in them (a well
know problem with prior models of this laptop). I finally got around
to sending it in for repair and when it returned didn't immediately
use it but noticed full repair of the cracks. When I did boot it up
sometime later I started to notice screen flickering when positioning
the screen angle. It became worse with use and was really annoying and
I figured it must be related to the recent repair.

When attempting to return it for re-repair Gateway service refused as
in the interim the year warranty was up. They indicated to me that
this was my fault in that I didn't immediately report the problem from
the first repair.

Perhaps I should have invested in the extra $300 for the 3 year
warranty offered by Best-Buy, but it seemed like quite a bit for a
$1200 item.

Otherwise I rather like the laptop as it has all the various ports, CF
and other portable memory access as well as a nice wide display. I
haven't loaded the 3D graphics support as I don't use such things.

The other problem is that it is pretty heavy and not something I carry
around much. It is now just sitting here at the front desk, so I
wouldn't call it a laptop.

It has also been good to try various 64 bit operating systems. GT.M and
VistA ran just fine with the 32 compat layer under 64 bit AMD Debian.

Anyhow I see that GTW last traded at $1.58, maybe that is why they
didn't exactly jump to help me out. In general I am not a big fan of
laptops as you can't very easily upgrade or fix them.

--
Ismet B. Kursunoglu, MD, FCCP

 Medical Director
 Alaska Clinic, LLC