I caught that at my last live meeting, it also is not legal to move a COA and OS from a OEM box to a white box even if the OEM box is destroyed.

I think MS is trying it's best to make us all criminals IMO. I have done what you did on occasion, ask customer for the cd and get a blank stair.
go figure
fp

At 05:36 AM 4/14/2005, Thane Sherrington Poked the stick with:
I have a lot of people come in that need Windows reinstalled.  Sometimes they have the Windows CD, sometimes the COA, rarely both.  If they have the CD, I call MS and get a number generated for them.  If they have the COA, I use my CD and their COA.  I was talking to MS anti-piracy yesterday, and I asked if that was "legal."  Guess what?  It isn't.  If you have the COA but no CD, you are not allowed to reinstall the software from another CD.  You must call MS, order a new CD for $45 (that includes shipping) and wait 7 to 10 days.

I tried to explain that a)if they had the COA and that meant they had a license to run the software, then why would they want to wait 7 to 10 days, and b)$45 was a lot of money for a CD with no license even including shipping.  Heck, $10 would make MS money.  The guy agreed that it did take a long time and that the price was high, but he pointed out, using another OEM CD might cause problems because: 1)the old Windows I was installing over might be customized (I told him I generally erased the drive) and 2)the OEM CD I had might not have all the drivers.  I explained that I could download drivers, and he conceded I could do that, but triumphantly pointed out that I might not want to.  At that point I gave up.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Anti-Virus]

--
Tallyho ! ]:8)