And all the benefits of running as an administrators group account are lost.

UAC is not worth shit, more of an annoyance. Now on the other hand the shit M$ pulled with Trusted Installer rather than Admins owning everything among other not-just-out-of-the-box-and-fixable-NO-permanent impairments to administering a box.

To this day I do not see how a domain admin is not on par or superior to the bulitin\administrator, but UAC and other security FUBARs seem to make my domain admin account nearly useless for non-UAC aware apps even UAC aware ones. Moronic, if I want to run as an admin & chance infecting myself that is my choice! If I have a domain, I expect domain admins have as many rights or more than local ones.

"poorly written" software? LOL, try anything written before Vista that you now have to fork out $$$ for updates to deal with M$ redefining the landscape yet again in a decade. You want to talk poorly written, then let's discuss why M$ made it so that multiple drive letter installs are certified to fail (C:\windows; D:\Program Files) unlike previous Windows that had zero issues with doing so.

On 12/19/2009 12:45 PM, Greg Sevart wrote:
I wouldn't encourage anyone to use that approach. Many of the protections
afforded by UAC are bypassed when running as _the_ local Administrator
account. While UAC in Vista was annoying enough that most users, myself
included, turned it off--I run with it enabled in W7, and we lock it on by
GPO at work on all W7 deployments.

Either way, the issue here is that the directories the OP is used to aren't
real directories, they're NTFS junction points for legacy poorly written
software that doesn't use environment variables, as has already been
mentioned.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Winterlight
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:36 PM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Win2K/XP to Vista/Win7

Log in as THE administrator... not a user with administrator
privileges. The first thing I do with Win 7 or Vista is to create the
administrator account

from the Command line = et user administrator /active:yes

and then use THE administrator account as my account so I do not run
into these problems.