From: Scoobydo <swza...@yahoo.com>
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Sent: Fri, May 21, 2010 3:41:20 PM
Subject: Re: [H] Odd CPU issue

Clearly you have more experience than me but you did say gone bad because of
overheating right? Most components I've had go bad did so for no apparent
reason. They just failed at some point. I've never seen a CPU do that and even
old socket 462 Athlon XP's shut down when over heated saving themselves from
frydom. I base that on the fact that the last one I worked on (2800+) wouldn't
run for more than a couple minutes in Windows because it was showing 70C in the
BIOS. After I cleaned the gunk off dude's heatsink and applied new TIM. Problem
solved and it ran as good as new. I have an ancient PII 333 MHz Slot style CPU
right now in my apartment that runs as well as the day it was built in 1997. An
old style horizontal HP Vectra and I don't know why I even keep it around..