I was planning on getting a Synology NAS....should I be concerned about security? I assumed that they would have this problem locked down on their new hardware...but I am not sure.

At 07:01 PM 7/6/2018, you wrote:
Thus far, AMD's story has been more compelling than Intel's. AMD is immune to meltdown, and is broadly speaking less vulnerable to the Sceptre variants. However, it would be naïve to believe that AMD is in the clear, as additional vulnerabilities are slowly coming out in this new and novel class of attack vector.

My thinking is that while both Linux and Windows are currently only doing the PTI/KernelVA shadowing for Intel, it will eventually be mandatory for all architectures--for defense in depth if nothing else.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hardware [mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Brian Weeden
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2018 3:42 PM
To: hardware <hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Should I rebuild my machine now or wait until the next gen of CPUs?

Winter, that is exactly the situation I'm in and the question I'm asking. I have not applied any patches to my system because a) they're only partially effective and b) they have a performance hit.

So I'm trying to see if it makes sense to upgrade to a new machine now, or whether I should stick it out for another several months (year?) to see if Intel or AMD rolls out something that actually fixes the underlying problems.

---------
Brian