On 8 June 2006 at 7:01, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm +1 except I'd like to see us get to the point where we can
>
> - produce a full snapshot of classlib + VM (using DRLVM or JCHEVM or
> whatever)

I agree.  I'd quite like to see a snapshot with a "free" vm and as much
of the classlib as possible preferably awt/swing and mx4j (anyone looked
at HARMONY-560? Comments?).

If it is acceptable, I'd very much like to create some snapshots in the
form of debian and rpm packages to see if we can encourage the masses
to give Harmony a try.  (At the moment I think these packages might
be pretty fat since we don't do much to make use of locally installed
packages for things like zlib, libpng, liblcms, etc.  But I still think
this (packaging) is worth doing and I'm prepared to work on trimming the
fat later.)

> - understand the timing of getting said VMs far enough that code will
> continue to run

Agreed.  I'd like to understand this.  Specifically, is it going to
take longer to get them working with 1.5 classes than it will to get
awt/swing integrated?

> While I'm stunningly grateful for the support IBM is providing with J9,
> and am looking forward to continuing support being very valuable and
> useful for us, we need to get the point of basic self-reliance wrt VM,
> and I'd at least like to understand what the 1.5 implications are, and
> the timelines for doing it.

Agreed.

Regards,
 Mark.