Dear Andrea and members of HaSafran:
To be devil's advocate, we've just digitized a DVD because its contents
were wanted by a patron, there was no DVD release, and there was also no
library-friendly or non-paywalled digital release available.
So to me, it would depend on content, as VHS are known to transfer well to
digital content, patrons can use THAT, and the original tapes live
"backstage" as archival backup.
Best regards,
Kimberley Shaw
Wellesley College Library