I have been mourning the death of our dear Adaire Klein. I have been
revisiting my first meeting with her: In 1991 I was newly married, heading
from Boston, MA to LA, CA via Teaneck, NJ where my husband's parents lived.
I had need of a mikvah in Teaneck and went to one close by. I sat in the
waiting room near a woman staffing the desk who said, "Oh I am just here
with my daughter, she's the mikvah lady-I'm just visiting and watching the
desk here. She'll be back in a minute." I was so struck by this woman's
voice. We got to talking and she told me she was visiting from Los Angeles.
Adaire asked me what I did and I told her that "I'm a librarian and had
just left my research librarian position at Harvard. We're moving to Los
Angeles." She laughed and said "I'm a librarian. When you get to LA let's
talk about what you're gonna do." Adaire was my introduction to the field
of Judaic librarianship in Los Angeles. She also welcomed and encouraged me
to be involved with the Association of Jewish Libraries.
In LA, we became friends, enjoying shabbat meals together ( I remember her
tiny dog named Cinnamon--blind, deaf and three legged), and lunches during
the week. We flew to Sacramento together to help a synagogue librarian
(Posh) whose library had suffered some damage . We shared ideas and a bond
over the idea that if all our kids learn about Jewish life is the Holocaust
then they "will head for the hills" (her words).
Manny, her husband who preceded her in death, was in my life as well. He
was a talented worker and could fix most anything. He created built-in
bookshelves in our home, pretty much according to Adaire's and my specs
because we could guarantee that the shelves will never sag under the weight
of books.
In 2013 it was my honor as president of our synagogue, B'nai David-Judea to
speak of the Klein role at our shul. Adaire and Manny's work in the shul
was vital. Adaire and Manny welcomed all and made newcomers feel important.
Every year on Simchat Torah, the children of the shul are called to gather
for a blessing under a gigantic tallis. Manny and Adaire contributed that
tallis. Adaire's reach went far beyond the walls of our shul. Her work in
the Los Angeles community with people who were choosing to become Jews, to
teach them week after week the ins and outs of being a Jew--was holy work.
And we all know of her work with the Library of the Simon Wiesenthal
Center--this too was sacred work.
I will cherish the times I spent with Adaire,
I will cherish the memory of our first meeting. It was fortuitous. I was
lucky to have known her.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2023 at 4:46 AM Elliot H. Gertel via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> *eger...@umich.edu* <eger...@umich.edu>
>

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 12:02 PM Robbin Katzin via Hasafran <
> hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to inform you that Adaire Klein passed away in Jerusalem on
>> Friday. Adaire was the long time librarian at the Simon Wiesenthal Center
>> in Los Angeles. Robbin Katzin Chicago, IL ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
>> ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
>> I am sorry to inform you that Adaire Klein passed away in Jerusalem on
>> Friday.  Adaire was the long time librarian at the Simon Wiesenthal
>> Center in Los Angeles.
>>
>> Robbin Katzin
>> Chicago, IL
>> __
>> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
>> author
>> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
>> (AJL)
>> Ha-Safran Archives:
>> Current:
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!1rOkpT25dvx1BzzHdCyUBajx55LeS8iyu8ngv6tVLHoEjygMBxv6w7XMSq4Mly5QaLR_Xzp9VCuXIrVFFxdN3L4l7k0$
>>
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!ze89rj_wPT5hKctaUJkLZC9W6mqJixJ9XaQzbp6dEfKHtI5mIqEZ1J7NPr6qiwr2b7k7n43V4Ht4zi6dYA7fng$>
>> Earlier Listserver:
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!1rOkpT25dvx1BzzHdCyUBajx55LeS8iyu8ngv6tVLHoEjygMBxv6w7XMSq4Mly5QaLR_Xzp9VCuXIrVFFxdN3L4l7k0$
>>
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!ze89rj_wPT5hKctaUJkLZC9W6mqJixJ9XaQzbp6dEfKHtI5mIqEZ1J7NPr6qiwr2b7k7n43V4Ht4zi6dYA7fng$>
>> AJL HomePage
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.JewishLibraries.org__;!!KGKeukY!1rOkpT25dvx1BzzHdCyUBajx55LeS8iyu8ngv6tVLHoEjygMBxv6w7XMSq4Mly5QaLR_Xzp9VCuXIrVFFxdNk8SAk90$
>>
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.JewishLibraries.org__;!!KGKeukY!ze89rj_wPT5hKctaUJkLZC9W6mqJixJ9XaQzbp6dEfKHtI5mIqEZ1J7NPr6qiwr2b7k7n43V4Ht4zi7mQR38Xg$>
>> --

> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!1rOkpT25dvx1BzzHdCyUBajx55LeS8iyu8ngv6tVLHoEjygMBxv6w7XMSq4Mly5QaLR_Xzp9VCuXIrVFFxdN3L4l7k0$
>
> Earlier Listserver:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!1rOkpT25dvx1BzzHdCyUBajx55LeS8iyu8ngv6tVLHoEjygMBxv6w7XMSq4Mly5QaLR_Xzp9VCuXIrVFFxdN3L4l7k0$

Abigail Yasgur
310.963.8644

*A loan is better than charity, for it enables one to help oneself. *

                                                     Maimonides

*There is joy for people who make plans to do good.*

Proverbs 12:20