asciidoc has been mentioned a few times in comments, i think it's worth looking
at.

* mature, over 10 years old (predates markdown i think), not "just another
markdown clone"
* human readable, but it has a lot of advanced features including mathematical
formulas.
* github supports it (they were sufficiently impressed with it to make a ruby
implementation called asciidoctor)
* several o'reilly books have been written in it, and the git documentation is
written in it.

roughly, asciidoc is to docbook as markdown is to html.  i'm no expert in this
area but it seems to be a good alternative.

http://asciidoc.org/
http://asciidoctor.org/docs/what-is-asciidoc-why-use-it/

best, ben