I've written down the proposed policy for versioning here:

  http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy

It turned out there was a previous page written by Bulat that contained essentially this policy, but it wasn't linked from anywhere which explains why it was overlooked. I took the liberty of rewriting the text.

I took into account Ross's suggestions that the major version should have two components, and that we need to be more precise about what it means to extend an API.

After a round of editing, we can start to link to this page from everywhere, and start migrating packages to this scheme where necessary.

Cheers,
        Simon