Joe Buehler wrote:
Simon Marlow wrote:

For the registerised port, you really need a native code generator (the mangler is on death row, yay). At a rough guess, I'd say porting the NCG would take a couple of weeks or so for someone unfamiliar with the code. Hopefully we'll improve that when we refactor the NCG as part of the backend overhaul.

Is there any documentation on the NCG? I ported 6.6 to HPUX 11 some time ago and looked at the NCG but didn't do it for PA-RISC because it was going to take too much time to understand. I was leaning towards the approach of trying to translate
the code generator for another processor into PA-RISC.

There's some old documentation, some of it is still relevant but probably much of it is out of date now:

http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc/docs/comm/the-beast/ncg.html

the best doc is the code, I'm afraid (but it has lot of illuminating comments and you can get a long way with cut-and-paste).

Cheers,
        Simon