I don't think it's that black and white.

At the lower end, when the language is controlled by a few, there's not much innovation poured into the language or libraries, and there are no tools to support development. As the community grows, you see much more innovation in language and libraries, and maybe a few primitive tools. With much greater, the community demands backward compatibility, so the language itself may only evolve in highly constrained ways (ways that are usually detrimental to consistency), but the library space explodes with innovation, and the tools become extremely powerful.

Personally, I'd be happy to see that explosion of innovation in the library and tool spaces, even if it means the language itself stops evolving (for the most part). It will make it a lot easier do use Haskell commercially, and the innovators in the language space will find or invent a new target to keep themselves occupied.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-BRAIN, Inc.
The Evolution of Collaboration