On  7 Aug, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> * maximal munch and comments
>
>   Explicitly allowing operators such as --- and --> is not just
>   a clarification; it is a change in the comment convention. (cf. p8 of
>   the 1.4 report `The sequence -- immediately terminates a symbol ...')

right, and a positive change because it would remove this special case
from the report

>   Though it is attractive to allow a wide range of operator symbols

it's not just convenient: try putting yourself in the mindset where
you want an arrow and have chosen --> so as not to clash with ->, and
then interpret the error messages you get.  It's an ugly irregularity.

>   --- comment

unambiguously not a comment

>   ----------------------

likewise
>   Any change putting in doubt (or even preventing) the commenthood of
>   an unbroken line of 2 or more dashes would be a pain.

only a pain, and only briefly.  I contend that it's easier to learn to
write

than to learn not to try to define -->, |--, --| and so on.  Oh, and what is

{-- comment --}

under the present rules?

  Jon

--
Jon Fairbairn                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]