Thanks for explaining, and thanks for updating example 10. When I follow those
commands to get an average vertex area, unfortunately, the palm command
ultimately fails with the error:

Error using palm_miscread (line 157)

Not enough input arguments.

Error in palm_takeargs (line 1509)

            plm.srfarea{s} = palm_miscread(opts.sa{s});

Error in palm_core (line 33)

[opts,plm] = palm_takeargs(varargin{:});

Error in palm (line 81)

palm_core(varargin{:});

Any thought why this may be? Should I attach the file to verify that it is the
correct output for this?

It runs smoothly if I just use one input, such as
S900.L.midthickness_MSMAll.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii from the HCP data. Is that the
file you would suggest using (for the left hemisphere)? I'd prefer to use a
local index of vertex area if I can as that seems more appropriate. Do you
think that is important?

As for the previous errors, I had left out the -ise flag, so I'm not sure what
the program was putting out (I guess nothing).

Thank you again for all your help,
Michael