From:
<hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users-boun...@humanconnectome.org>>
 on behalf of Seán Froudist Walsh <froud...@tcd.ie<mailto:froud...@tcd.ie>>
Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 10:29 AM
To: "hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>"
<hcp-users@humanconnectome.org<mailto:hcp-users@humanconnectome.org>>
Subject: [HCP-Users] volume to average surface with Nearest Neighbour
interpolation

Dear HCP experts,

I am interested in mapping individual voxels in a subject's FreeSurfer
conformed space (orig.nii) onto the HCP template (fsaverage_LR) while
maintaining the original voxel values.

All of the voxels lie within the LH cortical ribbon in the (conformed) volume
space. There are 186 voxels with non-zero values that act as unique
identifiers, with all other voxels having a value of zero.

I have prepared the native FreeSurfer to HCP transformations, then performed
volume-to-surface mapping of the sample data, and finally applied the
FreeSurfer-to-HCP transform to the sample data. I have tried to identify the
options that perform something like Nearest Neighbour assignment, as I need to
maintain the original values as identifiers. The problem I am facing is that
volume-to-surface mapping as done below reduces the number of non-zero
voxels/vertices from 186 to 94, and the Freesufer-to-HCP resampling reduces the
number of non-zero vertices further from 94 to 13 non-zero points.

I would greatly appreciate your guidance as to the best way to achieve my
desired goal of obtaining all 186 vertices with their original values onto the
HCP template. Should I map each voxel to the closest voxel on the FreeSurfer WM
surface, or something similar?

The commands I used are shown below.

Many thanks,

Sean

wb_shortcuts -freesurfer-resample-prep lh.white.surf.gii lh.pial.surf.gii
lh.sphere.FSave.reg.surf.gii
HCP_S1200_GroupAvg_v1/standard_mesh_atlases/resample_fsaverage/fs_LR-deformed_to-fsaverage.L.sphere.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii
 lh.midthickness.surf.gii ${current_subject}.l.midthickness.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii
lh.sphere.HCP.reg.surf.gii

and then created a volume-to-surface mapping, while maintaining the original
voxel/vertex values using

wb_command -volume-to-surface-mapping '
{current_subject}_samples_LH_cortex.nii.gz lh.midthickness.surf.gii
samples_native.shape.gii -enclosing

and then applied the transform using

wb_command -metric-resample samples_native.shape.gii lh.sphere.HCP.reg.surf.gii
HCP_S1200_GroupAvg_v1/standard_mesh_atlases/resample_fsaverage/fs_LR-deformed_to-fsaverage.L.sphere.32k_fs_LR.surf.gii
  BARYCENTRIC -largest {current_subject}_samples_HCP.shape.gii