Okay, but be aware that the volume registration isn't perfect even for
subcortical structures.  We go to some trouble to deal with the
non-overlapping edges without mixing data across individually-identified
subcortical structures when we put subcortical data into CIFTI.  I don't
know how bad the non-overlapping edges get in the thalamus, there may only
be a few subcortical structures where this problem is significant.

Tim