There is no difference between the duration of the E-Prime tasks and the
duration of the BOLD time series from the scan. There is likely a
misunderstanding of what the duration should be, but I can’t help without
knowing specifically what doesn’t line up in your opinion.

There have been two things that have confused other users:
1) The “Run Duration” reported in HCP publications is the total duration
reported by the scanner. But, that includes ~9.36s for scanner preparation and
collection of the SBRef volume. That time period occurs before the BOLD time
series and before the fMRI task begins, and should not be factored into task
timing.
2) At the beginning of most tasks (all but LANGUAGE), there is an 8s
“countdown” period before the first event in the task. Those 8s are included at
the beginning of the BOLD time series image, and are included in the timing
information in the EV files. So, if you haven’t included them in your
estimation of the task timing, you might think that the task was too short or
the scan too long.

Please review Barch et al. (2013) which includes more detailed description of
the tasks, and that should help you understand the timing information that
we’ve released in the EV directories in the packages.

--Greg

Greg Burgess, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist, Human Connectome Project
Department of Psychiatry
Phone: 314-362-7864
Email: gburg...@wustl.edu<mailto:gburg...@wustl.edu>