We previously looked at the MNI drift, and found that it is almost entirely
an affine, even for the nonlinear template.  We have a suspicion that this
means that it was originally caused by the early MNI linear template, and
that the issue was known by the time MNI nonlinear templates were released,
as it implies that the nonlinear template was dedrifted, but then an affine
was deliberately added in order to match the previous MNI linear template.
However, we have not investigated whether this was the case.

Since all of our anatomical size and shape measurements are computed using
a rigid acpc space (after gradient distortion correction), this drift in
MNI space is largely unimportant to many steps of analysis of things like
fMRI.  Be aware that even with proper dedrifting, any non-rigid volume
registration will hide differences in brain size (and shape if nonlinear)
across subjects, by design, so non-rigid volume-registered data won't ever
tell you the whole story of the anatomical features.  If you want to make
some anatomical measurement (distance, area, volume), then you should
generally measure it in each individual's own rigid/acpc space, not in any
kind of template space.

Now, on to the explanation: the registration warpfields from each subject's
rigid acpc ("T1w") space to MNI nonlinear space provide the information
needed to compute a dedrifted template that matches the population
represented by the subjects.  Warpfields are displacement vector fields
from the output coordinate system to the input coordinate system (because
of how volume resampling works - the output needs to be a regular grid, so
you actually need to transform output coordinates backwards to the original
location).  So, we can take the vector fields for each subjects that
specify where the MNI-aligned features originally were in acpc space, and
average those locations for each voxel.  This is simply averaging the
warpfields that are used to resample volume data from T1w/acpc space to MNI
space.  Once you have this average, you can invert it (like any other
warpfield), and then concatenate it after the acpc to MNI warp for each
subject, giving you a new dedrifted (for the chosen population) template
space.

Note, however, that this requires the acpc alignment to have worked well
(in the HCP pipelines, it is really a rigid registration to an MNI
template, not specifically using the ac and pc) - if there are any
non-matching rotations among the rigidly aligned volumes, they can result
in causing a shrinkage from the true average brain volume.  By carefully
finding the volume of brain masks in acpc space and after resampling to
this new dedrifted space, you can check for this effect (it will never be
an expansion).  However, the effect may not be isotropic, so actually
fixing the effect properly requires more thought.  However, if the acpc
alignments are generally close to being the correct orientation, this
effect should be small.

Note, in particular, that coordinates in this new space will not match MNI
coordinates, probably not even at (0, 0, 0), you would need to put any
coordinates through that same average warpfield in order to go between MNI
and this new space.  You could also tweak the new space by adding a rigid
affine to the end, so you could line up (0, 0, 0) with MNI space, or
similar.

Tim