Hi all,

I’m trying to understand how to best parse HCM2’s recommendation vis a vis the
PCC practice for Alternative (1st) … : 2.5.2, p. 16. “If the date of
publication is represented only in Hebrew letters, the numbers must be rendered
in Western-style Arabic numerals.”  One example is then given for “715 [1954 or
1955]” in both the vernacular and romanized 264 fields. (HCM2, p. 37)  Before
that, though, the LC practice for Alternative (1st) states: … generally supply
non-Latin scripts for the languages/scripts …: …Hebrew, Yiddish, … .  If
following minimal level cataloguing guidelines, the records for these
languages/scripts may be fully romanized.” (HCM2, p. 36-37)

I have in front of me the following in the source:

מהדורה ראשונה, אדר ב', תשע"ד, 2014

We take dates following ed. statements to be pub. dates, but in this case our
date of publication is NOT “represented only in Hebrew letters”, so do we
follow the PCC practice on 2.5.2 and render the date in Arabic numerals?  Also,
as per the LC practice, we are to supply the non-Latin scripts. But we are
following more than minimal level cataloguing, so should they be romanized?

My vernacular 250 is מהדורה 1.; is the vernacular 264_1

אדר 2., 774 = 2014
or
אדר ב' תשע"ד = 2014

(The romanized 264_1 is Adar 2., 774 [March 2014] = 2014, with fixed fields
DtSt=e, Date 1=2014, Date 2=03.)

Please advise.  Thanks, Jasmin

---
Jasmin Shinohara