On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Mathieu Parent <math.par...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello (again),
>
> Hindsight is using a push-model (i.e Nagios passive checks). This is
> great, but I want to plug it with Prometheus which uses pull-model
> [1].
>
> I see several ways to handle this:
> - use the prometheus push-gateway [2]. This has several drawbacks listed below
> - introduce pull model in hindsight
> - add a new daemon, based on lua_sandbox too, but using pull model
>
> The drawbacks of prometheus push-gateway are:
> - Unnecessary polling of data (data is grabbed even if not pulled by
> prometheus
> - time lag, between data grabbing and data pulling
> - To sum up : to reduce time lag, you increase polling rate, when us
> decrease polling, you increase time lag.
>
> The push model may work like this:

You mean "pull" here I guess.

> - Adding pull_message_matcher config to inputs (defaults to FALSE)
> - Adding process_pull_message() function to inputs, returning a table
> of messages (or should it be inject_pull_message() + return 0?)
> - Adding request_pull_message() function to outputs, which maps to
> matching process_pull_message() and concatenates the results in a
> table. This function is blocking.
>
> Opinions?

If there was an "http listen" extension in lua_sandbox_extensions then
I think it would be easy to write an output plugin compatible with
Prometheus, without specific support for pull in Hindsight. The
problem is that there's "http listen" extension in
lua_sandbox_extensions right now, see [*] for a bit more information
on this.

[*] <https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/heka/2016-September/001107.html>