We should probably be using the Hindsight list https://mail.mozilla.org/
listinfo/hindsight for this but I will provide a short answer here:
Hindsight is agnostic when it comes to push or pull in an I/O plugin.  It
is a function of the plugin and there are currently examples of both.
However, as Eric commented there is no HTTP server implementation available
in a sandbox yet (although there are a few options).  See
https://github.com/mozilla-services/lua_sandbox_
extensions/blob/master/socket/sandboxes/heka/output/heka_tcp_matcher.lua
for an example of a TCP subscription based output plugin.

Trink