After I'd explained my new yurt design (see older posts) at a conference a
while back, a physicist friend of mine came up to me and said "I'll never
understand why everyone goes with aluminum-coated panels -- it's such a bad
idea".

He explained that aluminum is optically gray (not an especially high
albedo, especially when dusty), but white in IR. Meaning, it absorbs
visible light, heats up, and can't reradiate the heat effectively. So the
heat is conducted into the panels.

By contrast, observatories are painted with a white paint which, while it
also absorbs some visible light, reradiates it all in IR very effectively.
So, the dome doesn't heat up.

I found this link which puts some hard numbers to this:

http://umich.edu/~lowbrows/reflections/2001/tryan.5.html

Has anyone tried painting their panels? I would hate to be the guy that
mooped up the playa with paint flakes after a dust storm. So, any tips on
paint selection or sealant would be appreciated.