Kabbani Fitna Part III
Published Saturday June 17, 2000

By Anti Kabbani
Part III The Quran is clear on the subject. It says " Do not equate evil with good and
dispense evil in decent manner." Our understanding of the matter is that harming
Muslims, making accusations against them without proving them, casting doubts about
the chastity of Muslim women and endangering the future of Muslim students fall in the
category of evil. Thus we decided to remove ourselves from the scene without creating
a scene. We know for fact that if the audience had known of this decision and the
reasons behind it, some 80 percent of them would have acted the way we acted. Some
people asked us why Dr. Sakr stayed and spoke and mingled with Kabbani. To the best of
our understanding Dr. Sakr is also a signatory of the decision to avoid Kabbani in
public forum. If he thought that the rule was not applicable to him or to the
situation, then it is his decision, which he is entitled to. However, many in the
Muslim community would question Muslim leaders as to the legitimacy of !
their decisions if they themselves are the first ones to break them. Our Prophet tells
us that we should be the first ones to challenge evil. Depending on our abilities, we
should use either of the three matters, either stop the evil that is happening, or
loudly speak out against it or consider it wrong in our hearts. Based on the phone
calls we received from people, we find strong support of our action and we pray to
Allah to help our community distinguish between those who have harmed its interests
and those who are ready to stand by the decision their community asked them to take.
The issue is not personal. It is an issue that involves the honor of our women, the
integrity of our Islamic centers and the future of our students. We have suffered
immensely at the hands of leaders who have misled us in the past. We are not willing
to be fooled again. We should call spade a spade. We do not want to play politics with
the future of our community. Any thing that is harmful to our !
children must be challenged. In our judgement, what Kabbani said at the State
Department has made each one of us a suspect in the eyes of Americans. We cannot trust
a leadership that does not think logically about the interests of our community and we
do not want to rely on a leadership that is so immersed in the process of self
promotion that it often compromises on basic Islamic principles. In our humble
judgement what Kabbani said at the State Department was a violation of Islamic
principles. Islam demands from each one of us not to falsely accuse other, not to cast
doubt on the chastity of women and not to harm the future of our innocent youth. As
long as the statements are not withdrawn and an apology is not given to the Muslim
community, our decision to avoid any contact with Kabbani's group will stay and stay
strong

Free email from http://www.yourmail.cc