We certainly HAVE "denied that it's been completely canned."  I wonder how
many times Doug Lombardi has to say that TF2 is still being developed before
it sinks in and people stop saying that Valve is neither confirming nor
denying the existence of TF2.  And it's also no secret that TF2 is using a
new, internally developed engine.

I think this interview contains the latest public statements about TF2:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?http://www.computerandvideogames.com
/news/news_story.php?id=48859