Hey everyone,

Perhaps someone can shed some light on the difference between when a user
uses command "retry" as opposed to "reconnect".  From the outside their
functionality appears identical, however, thanks to a regular user of ours a
bug in software I have been writing has reared its ugly head.  Users who use
"reconnect" are able to crash the server.

Keeping in mind I am using threads, and doing a few other non-standard
things.  I am locking mutex appropriately, and as I said, when users use
retry all is fine.

The HLDS error is:

L 08/15/2003 - 00:21:16: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): NUM_FOR_EDICT: bad
pointer

and is created by: CLIENT_PRINTF(pPlayer->m_pEdict, print_console, log_str);

Yes this is easily solved with a check for a valid player, but then that
player is then able to bypass that function, which is involved in deciding
if they should be allowed on the server or not, so I need to identify how
their player pointer somehow becomes either invalid, or full of garbage.

Any light anyone can shed on this would be useful.

Cheers,

James