Philip Searle wrote:

Why does the decal code handle decals with the name "}z_" specially? I can't quite understand what the code does (floating-point assembly isn't my strong point).

???

maybe:
texture are already mangled because encode stuff (special atributes)

name[0] = type,

"z_" can be a substring that trigger something

Now that player movement is all handled by the client/game DLLs, why would the engine ever need to find out the texture the player is standing on (HUD_PlayerMoveTexture)? Or is this an obsolete function now?

???

carpet/ice/metal footsteps?
backward compatibility?
bounce data?
proxy textures vs server phisics?
UFOs?

/* Sets cvar value - why is this needed when Cvar_SetValue already
exists? */
void (*Cvar_Set)( char *name, char *value );

???

this may generate new console cvars?
this one may use strings?
this one only update string field?
littel green dwellers from mars?

maybe Valve forget about the other

/* Starts a local sound - why is this needed? */
void (*pfnStartDynamicSound)( char *filename, float volume, float pitch );

???

Menus? Music? "radar"? "sniper scope effect"? banned player triing to logon?

Its this server or client?