Ok. I think i got the idea..
".Since a tick is no larger than 30msec,
 a bullet will only fall sv_gravity * 0.03 (18 inches for HL2) in a
 single tick while it will move forward somewhere near 1000 inches"

Sorry if i am saying bullshit since i haven't done this kind of thing
on HL2... YET!
So, if the bullet didnt hit anything in this tick on these 1000
inches, you could save the bullet data and recalculate the trace on
the next tick. (maybe starting from where the last tick left off or
maybe starting from where the last one started and calculating it for
2000 inches) and so on until it hits something or exceeds an maximum
distance travelled.
Am i right?