Ask someone at Valve :)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jeff Fearn
Sent: 07 June 2005 08:37
To: hlcoders@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlcoders] Speed hack detection, was new SDK version is
live

I think you are wrong, Botman said this earlier:

On 6/3/05, Jeffrey botman Broome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jeff Fearn wrote:
> >
> > Am I correct that a player does not actually state their position in
> > the world but simply gives impulses (buttons), and therefore it's the
> > number of impulses per second that allows speed hacking?
>
> Yes, I believe that is correct.  The player sends movement commands to
> the server and the server says "Hmmmm, okay you are moving in this
> direction, let me calculate your new velocity and location based on
> where I think you were before and which way you were going before and
> then I'll send that information back to you."  The client doesn't even
> specify HOW MUCH they moved (i.e. the distance during that update).  The
> client only says "I'm moving THIS way now".

So now I'm stuck, do I believe Botman or Deadman!

Jeff

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for the above
named recipient only. If this has come to you in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. You must take no
action based on this, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its
contents to any person or organisation. Statements and opinions contained in
this email may not necessarily represent those of Littlewoods Group Limited or
its subsidiaries. Please note that e-mail communications may be monitored. The
Registered Office of Littlewoods Group Limited and its subsidiaries is 100 Old
Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB. Registered number of Littlewoods Group Limited
is 5059352.

www.blackspider.com