Well, Mac support makes a lot of sense really. According to wikipedia
Windows covers 88% of all desktop computers, and Mac OS X 6%. GNU/Linux
only is only 1%. If you look at this pie chart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Operating_system_usage_share.svg you
can clearly see that if Valve supports Windows and Mac, they support
almost every desktop computer able to run their games. I am really glad
Valve are expanding the market for digital distribution to other
platforms as well - personally I see Steam-like systems as the future of
gaming. So whether how much I would like a linux port, I can perfectly
see why they should focus on a Mac OS X port first.

As for the whole no gaming on GNU/Linux thingey - the main reason
developers don't make games for the platform is because gamers don't use
it, and the main reason gamers doesn't use the platform is because the
huge games don't get ports for the platform. If Valve shipped their
Source games for GNU/Linux-based operating systems I am sure it would
cause more gamers to use the platform, including myself.

Again, I am really glad Valve is doing a Mac OS X port of Steam and
Source and I appreiciate their efforts put into this.