What?  You mean Valve's comments about supporting the server admins aren't
enough?  You want actual support?
Valve, you suck at supporting server admins, despite what you say.

I think Valve should host some sample servers, with public config files, and
throw up some more public config files once in a while to show how to <do
random neat thing>.  Seems like an HLDS developer blog is in order...

Barring that, documentation (complete, correct, and unambiguous) please.
No, not a wiki.
No, not a list of cvars with missing and ambiguous definitions.
Documentation.  I'm sure some intern was tasked with compiling napkin scrawls
and white board scribbles into a semi-cohesive document.

Hell, I still haven't figured out how the actual resolution of the banner
display space.  It varies according to resolution apparently...
I could stretch it to fill the space, but then it looks ugly.
I could pad it, but that looks ugly too.
(Granted, my mobo died 8 days ago, so I haven't messed with my servers since.)

I'll be setting up a server again this weekend.  Hopefully by then the dust
will have settled, but I doubt it.