From: MAGUS [mailto:magus...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:17 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] Better Windows Server for HLDS?

humm.. allright..

and dont exists any problem if i run all servers (6 in total) in one OS
phsyical?

*"I would say use Intel over AMD. If you run 4 Gig of RAM you should be
fine, and
make sure you run your OS and game servers on different hard drives."*

about HD, i will install OS in one HD and all servers in other HD?
and when you say HD, you say partition or really other HD?

about linux, wich dist. you recommend?

obs: sorry about all questions.. and thanks for help!

-
rody

2009/4/21 Rick Payton <r...@mai-hawaii.com>

> There's quite a few of us here who host game servers in a virtual
> environment with nary a problem. If I'm not mistaken, trashedgamers is
> completely virtual environment, with about 5 32 slot tf2 servers.
You're
> up Karl :)
>
> I run my game servers under both ESX and ESXi (my stateside VM's are
in
> ESX, my local VM's are ESXi). It performs so well that my extra small
> community has no idea they're virtualized. :P
>
> -mauirixxx

As

> far as bandwidth I was say if you were to fill those servers up most
of
> the time you should think about 6-7Megbit at least.  That way you
don't
> have bandwidth issues.

HLDS/cstrike/32
> slots..
> and other machine, with one physical OS running other 3 HLDS with:
> 16/14/12
> slots.
>
> what is better:
> 1: i run all HLDS in one phsyical OS?
> 2: virtualize two (or more) virtual OS and run the HLDS separately?
>
> wich a problem that i run all HLDS in one physical OS?
>
> last question (hehe):
> consider that i've get one DC for running this servers (list down),
wich
> configuration that i would need for run all servers, with no problems?
> (processor/memory/bandwidth)
> - sv1: cstrike/30 slots;
> - sv2: cstrike/16 slots;
> - sv3: cstrike/14 slots;
> - sv4: cstrike/12 slots;
> - sv5: CSS/20 slots;
> - sv6: TF2/16 slots;
>
> -
> rody
>
> 2009/4/21 Zach Tate <z...@tomballtech.com>
>
> > I would first try to just get each server to run on one physical
box,
> > that will cut down on power, and space in a data center.  (That is
if
> > understood how you have your current setup as, one box per game
> server).
> >  You can run more than one game server on a physical server.  It
just
> > depends on how powerful your system is to determine just how many
game
> > servers can run.
> >
> > As far as Linux vs. Windows, it just depends on how good you are in
> > Linux or Windows.  I would personally go with which ever you are
able
> > get around in like Alec said.  I find windows to be easier, but
Linux
> > be more fun and interesting.  Just make sure you know how to fix
Linux
> > is something does go wrong.
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Zach Tate