It's certainly an interesting thought, but I'd have to say it won't.

With another year comes new tech, new components, a new way of doing things
more efficiently. L4D2 will probably do things serverside in a different way
than L4D did.

Think of it this way, you can open documents in Microsoft Word 2007 that
were made using Word 2000 using default settings, but not vice-versa.
Backwards-compatibility, not forwards-compatibility.