Yeah...this is going to be a tough one to track down. I've been on a server
a couple of times that it's happened, and there was no discernible cause,
other than it seemed to happen most often right after a map change while
players were choosing their teams. But again, there was no crash dump, and
no error messages in the logs, so it's all but impossible to put my finger
on the cause. It's happened on both 24 & 32 player servers, stock and custom
maps, with Sourcemod and without, etc. Server specs are:

2 x e5620 (dual quad core)
24 GB ram
2 x 500GB drives (both defragged daily)
5 TF2 instances per box (and nothing else at the moment - servers stay at
35% CPU usage or less)

It's more an annoyance than anything else....the servers are all very stable
(actually, they've been more stable in the last couple of months than ever
before), and almost never crash, with exception of this "hang" once or twice
per day. Some server will go for days without it occurring, then they'll
have 1-2 hangs on the same day.

Perhaps if there was some kind of verbose logging/debug file we could put on
the server(s) for a couple of weeks that would detail exactly what was
happening during each hang, we could be a bit more helpful to Valve in
finding the problem?