It seems that some servers that have been delisted are able to somewhat
sustain active servers by tricking their current community members and
those who have favorited them with the same fake clients that got them
banned in the first place.

I had some ideas I thought could make delistment a more serious matter and
the hope is that community owners wouldn't be so quick to break the rules
that can result in a delistment. Here are just a few of the ideas:

1. Banning or disabling the steam accounts of community owners who are
repeat offenders.
2. Doing a check on the favorites list. Query to see if the server is
banned. If it is, do not return the server.
3. Disable the Steam Group of communities who are delisted for the duration
of their delistment. This will prevent the group owner or officers from
pointing the members to a new group or updating the IP addresses in the
profile to new servers and no more events. Right now, banned servers can
sustain players just by posting events. Some of the more popular groups
have upwards of 100k members.

This also reminded me why allowing hostnames in the favorites list wouldn't
be a good idea. Banned communities could easily route
users to their new servers if the favorites list allowed hostnames.