Last time I checked, the -beta beta has to be part of the appupdate command, like this:

+app_update "222860 -beta beta"

On 6/29/2013 11:59 PM, Ook wrote:
d:\steamcmd>steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir d:\l4d2 +app_update 222860 -beta beta validate +quit
Redirecting stderr to 'd:\steamcmd\logs\stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam_: BugslayerUtil.DLL not found
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Success.
Success! App '222860' already up to date.

The content log shows nothing was downloaded or updated, and an examination of the files likewise shows nothing changed. This was run in a directory that had a clean non-beta install from earlier today.

status
version : 2.1.2.3 5310