I'd like to step in and make a a point, even though none of you know me, nor
have I participated in this discussion.
My servers(currently six 32-slotters with all custom gamemodes/maps) run MOTDgd
advertisements, and my entire playerbase is happy and contempt with them,
except the three occasional non-regulars that come on once a week and  bitch
about the ads. And it's not even the annoyance of the ads, their toasters
simply cannot run anything past a staic page in the MOTD.
My point is - your ads have to be unobtrusive(or, at least, not annoying)
 and you still  have to provide a high quality gameplay/experience to anyone
that joins.
Trying to run donation-driven servers is getting harder and harder every day,
and unless you have a very large community(~400 concurrent players at all times
or more) - you're simply not going to afford the hardware you need to run said
servers.